Well. it's been almost a month. it seems I'm pretty bad at keeping this thing up. I'd like to say it's because I don't use the computer much, but unfortunately, I have been using it an embarrassing amount in attempts to do school work. Two major papers left, and then I'm in the clear until exams; just need to keep pushing through. I'm trying to rely more on books for research - but more and more the library is referring me to the electronic versions of the books. ag... technology makes slaves of us all.
anyhow. enough of that rant (I could go all day).
It is March now. So far this month, I've travelled to Edinburgh and St. Andrews; and that was just last week. Up until that, I had been swamped with papers and assignments. It has been a bit more laid back since Tuesday, which I rather like. Although, I need to keep productivity up so I can stay on top of my last couple of assignments.
Oodles of things have happened since my last update. Here are some of note:
I have a bike now - which is one of the most wonderful things. I forgot how much I love biking, and I am now quite happily reminded. It was a little disorienting at first to be on the opposite side of the road, and especially counter-intuitive for making right turns. But it is great - adds a lot of joy to my life. And yes, I do wear a helmet - don't worry. And even sport an oversized reflective vest when biking at night. I like it.
On Shrove Tuesday, I facilitated a pancake night at my flat. Apparently, since maple syrup is seen as Canadian, pancakes are also seen as a typically Canadian meal. It's kind of funny. It was a good evening. I also went to a Bulgarian dinner party last weekend and had moussaka and tarator (a cold cucumber and yogurt soup).
At the recommendation of a friend, I decided to try the Glasgow Uni library and immediately fell in love with it. 11 stories, high ceilings, big windows, a great view of Glasgow from the top few floors, pianos on the 4th floor (amazing), longer opening hours (hours of operation), a café/cafeteria on the first floor with booths, and a spiral staircase in the middle going up to a loft... so many great things. I hardly consider Strathclyde's building to be a library anymore.
I've also grown to love the west end of Glasgow - it's a little more chilled out. and more like a town, full of great little independent shops, cafes, green space, wider streets, some cobblestone, etc. I live in the city centre though, so I need to find some way to appreciate it too.
I just realized that I never even mentioned Mitchell library; also in the west end, or maybe more accurately between that and the city centre. It's the largest public reference library in all of Europe, and I study there from time to time. No big deal... :)
here's a picture.
enough about libraries though.
here's some pictures of my day trip to Edinburgh,
 |
| misleading title on doorway. it just lead into a path behind a bunch of houses |
 |
| the sun came out. |
 |
| a pedestrian street. |
 |
| more sunshine |
 |
| hiked up a small mountain. |
 |
| view of Edinburgh, and I'm hardly halfway up at this point |
 |
| i discovered the panorama function on the camera. the peak in the middle left section is where i'm headed. its called Arthur's seat. |
 |
| and this is the view from very close to the top. i was going to take a video at the top, but the camera battery died. |
And here are some pictures of St. Andrew's......
 |
| climbed 200+ stairs to get to the top of this observatory (in a small tower, circular staircase, part of the cathedral ruins) |
 |
| scotland. |
 |
| this was a group trip with the Strathclyde International Society. here we head towards the site of the castle ruins. |
 |
| the coast of St Andrews. to the left is the North Sea. my traveling companion laughed at me for calling it the ocean... |
 |
| i have ridiculous facial expressions. quite happy to be visiting St. Andrews. castle ruins behind me. |
 |
| discovered the beach and proceeded to spend the next couple of hours here. |
 |
| amazing. |
 |
| ridiculously amazing. |
 |
| some barnacles and really slippery seaweed. |
 |
| i had a huge smile plastered on my face the entire time. |
OH, another gem in the city - the glasgow climbing centre. I am now an official member, joined on Monday. With my climbing experience from a couple of summers ago at OPC, I proved myself to be a competent climber (put on harness properly, tie in with appropriate knot, demostrate belaying skill, and explain purpose of spotting.) So, I'm certified. And the guy who was testing me recognized my opc staff shirt on the completion of my test. The climbing centre is wonderful. The people who work there are so friendly, and the times that I've been there, there is constant witty banter between me and the desk guys. The centre is also inside what used to be a church.... check it out:
 |
| so cool. apparently, you can see the organ on the other side from the top of one of the routes. |
 |
| and there is a cafe in a loft above. |
On Wednesday I found a great health food store in the west end. Now I finally have unsweetened unsalted natural peanut butter. Yes, it may sound strange, but this is my comfort food, and I have a tendency to eat it by the spoonful. Just had it on a toasted slice of homemade bread an hour ago.
 |
| view from the window of a cafe that I had breakfast at on Monday. |
 |
| sunset over the River Clyde |
 |
| some iconic structures of Glasgow - on almost every postcard |
Ah. There are so many things more that I could say, but I have this major paper that I would ideally like to finish the first draft of today, and since it is already the afternoon, I should get myself to a library and get working on it.
until next time.... the adventure continues.
Your photos are wonderful, Becca, and I just want to pinch your cheeks when you're in them!!!
ReplyDeleteThat climbing place is pretty amazing.
You're pretty amazing!
I'm excited for you to come home, but I'm so glad you're having such an interesting time!
XO
Elysha
awe sister. I miss you! you are living up you're time there most excellently and its beautiful to see!
ReplyDelete